Frank opened his eyes. “The sun’s up,” he thought. When he was younger, he’d get out of bed as soon as he woke up. For the last ten years, he’d learned to lie there for a while and enjoy the gift of another day.
There are four windows in his bedroom, which let in sunlight from three directions. He likes having windows that look out in all directions.
After ten minutes, he rolled his legs out of bed, grabbed a handle he’d screwed to his headboard and stood up. His knees complained. To help them calm down, he stretched as tall as he could, straightening as many muscles as possible. Especially, those in his legs.
Twenty minutes later, he’d washed, dressed and was ready for the day. He headed for the elevator in his bedroom. “The best thing I’ve ever done was installing the two small elevators. This one to the main floor and another from there to the basement,” he thought.
Downstairs, he made his way to the kitchen and started to prepare a simple breakfast of muesli and yogurt.
His cellphone rang. Answering the call, he heard his son say, “Dad. How are you?”
“I was just preparing my breakfast. Are you at work yet?”
“Just getting there. You had a good night?”
“Yes. You know I sleep like a log. Just because I’m eighty-six doesn't mean I’m helpless.”
“There’s no one there to look after you.”
“That’s the way I like it. You’re like me. Independent and really grumpy if people interfere.”
“OK, Dad. You did use the elevator?”
“Yes. I haven’t used a staircase since the elevators were installed. Stop worrying. Arthritis is not pleasant, but there’s no way I’ll leave this house. You know that the two elevators I had installed are marvelous. I can go from the basement to the bedroom without using the stairs. The stairs are hard on my joints. Also, I promise I won’t try to go out in the icy conditions. But I am looking forward to spring.”
“Dad, I still worry about you.”
“Worry about your family. Not me.”
“We’re off on holiday tomorrow, but I’ll try to keep in touch.”
“Enjoy yourselves. Thanks for calling.”
He listened to the news and soon wondered why he bothered. Then a noise attracted his attention. Looking out onto the garden, he noticed there were no birds or squirrels to be seen. Puzzled, he opened the patio door and stepped onto the deck.
To his left was what looked like a bundle of rags. As he stared at them, the rags moved. A person slowly stood up and started walking towards the side gate.
“Why are you in my garden?” he said.
The person stopped and slowly turned towards him. Frank’s eyes opened wide when he saw it was a young woman. She returned his stare but said nothing.
“You look cold and frightened. I’m no threat. You’d better come in and warm yourself.” To his surprise, the woman gave a small smile and stepped towards him. Frank went inside, and she followed.
She stood looking at him in the kitchen.
“May I suggest I go upstairs and get some old clothes? In the basement, there’s a washing machine, dryer, and a washroom. If you wish, you can change there and wash your clothes.”
She frowned and said, “What will you be doing?”
“I’ll fix breakfast so it’s ready when you’re done. Do you like eggs on toast with coffee?”
She nodded.
After she’d eaten, she looked into the main bathroom and asked, “Can I have a shower?”
“Go ahead. The door locks from the inside.”
Frank sat on the sofa in the living room. She joined him after her shower but sat in the wing chair on the other side of the fireplace.
“I’m called Jill.”
“I'm Frank. Jill, I’m sure you’ve had a difficult time ending up on the street. It’s not my business, but I need to know you are trustworthy.”
“I promise I won’t steal or do anything bad.”
Frank realized he was treading on very thin ice, but he already had strong feelings for Jill. He hoped it was purely empathy and not anything more foolish.
“OK. Why don’t you use the bed in the basement? Rest, and we’ll talk when you’re ready.”
Three weeks later, Frank heard the garage door open. He peeked out in time to see the car disappearing into the garage.
Frank thought: I’m still amazed she hasn’t driven off in the car, never to be seen again. Not yet anyway. Just because she’s settled down for a few weeks doesn’t mean she won’t vanish one day.
Jill came in through the rear patio door, carrying two bags of groceries.
“See, I’m back. The store was crowded. I try to avoid crowds as much as I can. They still make me nervous.”
After putting away the food, she set up the central vac and started to clean the floors. Frank knew he was reveling in the new situation. He’s fallen for her in a grandfatherly way. But she’s a boon for his comfort because she does lots of the household chores.
“I’ll make us some lunch,” he called to her.
She nodded.
As he prepared ham and cheese sandwiches for them, he thought, “One day she’ll move on, then I’ll be alone again. Hopefully, my son doesn’t find her here before then.”
They sat down to their sandwich lunch with a pot of tea. Frank dared to ask a personal question. “Jill. Where is your home?”
She looked at him, then quietly replied, “I’m from B.C.”
“That’s three thousand miles from Toronto,” Frank said.
Jill stared at Frank and then said, “I won’t contact my family. I came to Toronto to put as much distance between Victoria and myself.”
For the next ten days, Jill was very quiet. He hoped she might tell him why, but he didn't dare raise the issue, in case she leaves.
The next day, Frank’s son called. “Dad. I’m close to your place. I’ll call in once I’ve finished here.
Frank called Jill. “My son’s on his way here. Clear up your things and hide in the basement.
Five hectic minutes later, she disappeared downstairs just as his son arrived at the front door.
They hugged. His son said, “I can’t stay long.” Then he looked around the house. “I’m impressed how tidy the place is.”
“I’ve hired a cleaner, and she sometimes drives me to the store.”
“You still got that old Subaru?”
“It’s only nine years old. It still goes well, and I don’t drive it anymore. Someday, I’ll find someone to pass it along to.”
Frank then held his breath as his son opened the basement door. He looked down the stairs and said, “You don’t go down there, do you?”
“Only to do some laundry and then I use the elevator. But now most of my laundry is done by Jill, the cleaner I mentioned.”
His son went halfway down the stairs and bent down to get a look into the basement. “It’s really tidy down here as well. What’s got into you?”
“Jill tidied things up. I can’t take any of the credit.”
Frank saw his son out and breathed a sigh of relief. Then he took the elevator down to the basement. There was no sign of Jill or any of her things.
“Jill. Where are you?”
The door to the cupboard under the stairs creaked open. Jill came out, pulling a black plastic garbage bag full of her things.
That evening, Jill washed up the supper dishes and then sat down next to Frank on the sofa.
“Frank, I’ve been in touch with my mother for the last few days.”
“How did you do that?”
“You gave me your old iPad, so I emailed her. She replied and told me she’s ill. Soon, I’ll have to go to help her.”
“You want to go home?”
“Not really. But I must. She’s very ill.”
Frank looked at Jill and realized his fairy tale was nearly over.
“You’ll need the car to get there. I’ll give it to you and cover the costs to get you there.”
“You can’t do that.”
“I don’t drive the car anymore, but you will need it.”
“Perhaps spring will come early this year?” Frank thought as he sat looking out onto his deck. He’d just given up on a crossword puzzle he’d been trying to finish. “Some of the clues are beyond me.”
Jill came up from the basement and walked over to the fireplace. She opened the chain-link curtains that keep hot cinders from spitting into the room and selected a new log to add to the flames. Satisfied that the glow from the fire isn’t in danger of dying away, she closed the curtain and stood back.
“I like the wood fire. I’ve never seen one before except on TV. It’s like having someone else in the room. It’s full of activity and warmth. Almost like it’s alive.”
Frank nodded his agreement and smiled at her.
She sat next to him, picked up the unfinished crossword, scanning the clues.
He pointed to a clue and shrugged his shoulders. Jill read it aloud, “Swift Travels.”
He stared at her and said, “Migration doesn’t fit.”
Jill thought for a moment, then said, “Try ‘Eras Tour ’. It’s one of Taylor Swift’s tours. It’s eight letters. So it fits.”
Frank smiled and entered it into the puzzle, as he muttered, “How would I know that?”
“OK. So what’s a texter’s shorthand for ‘enough of that’?”
“TMI. Too Much Information.”
“OK. Then what’s ‘They dry up to survive’?”
Jill thought for a moment, then said, “I think it’s ‘tardigrades’. They are tiny creatures that can survive in awful conditions.”
He beamed at her and said, “You’re full of surprises.”
***
To make sure she’d left, he looked in the garage. It was empty. 'I hope she’s driving to B.C.,' he thought. Frank spent the day in slow motion. 'Without Jill, everything seems empty.' That evening, he tried to watch some TV, but he couldn’t get interested.
He sat and looked at the envelope, but he couldn’t bear to open the note.
That night, when he went to bed, he took the envelope with him. There, he finally opened the note. It read like she was talking to him.
“Frank, I know you will be very sad that I have left for B.C. I have to go to try to help my Mum because my Dad is useless. He’s agreed to move out before I get there. I can’t be there if he is there. Thank you for being so kind. I know you did it because you’ve become fond of me.
“What you don’t know is that once I’ve finished helping my Mum, I’ve decided to give myself up to the police. You don’t need to know why. Your kindness made me realize that I have to face up to what I’ve done. I’m just twenty-four. It is your example that gave me a little wisdom. I won’t ever see you again.
“But I want you to know I fell in love with you that very first day. No one has ever been kind to me like you’ve been. I never knew my grandparents, and perhaps what I feel for you might be how I’d feel for a grandfather. I’ll never know.
“I know how much I’ll miss you. Having to leave is terrible for me.
“I will always love you.”
Jill OOOXXX
Frank lay back on his pillow and smiled. Then he happily turned over and snuggled under the covers. He smiled again as he thought, “It’s wonderful to know there’s really no need to wake up in the morning.”
His eyes closed, and he slept like a baby.
Originally published in NOTL Writer's Circle Anthology, Love and Loss, October 2026
Richard West is a retired engineer who lives in Canada. Richard’s career has taken him to every continent (except Antarctica) and included a wide range of experiences.
Whether it is Dickens, Lawrence or Czerneda, it’s the story they tell that fascinates. He is only an apprentice at writing, but the journey is fascinating.
Richard has published five books and several short stories.
Please see richardpwest.ca
Comments
Post a Comment